Friday, August 20, 2010

Dude, Chelsea Clinton's husband is totally Jewish. Does anyone care?

Chelsea Clinton, a Methodist, and Marc Mezvinsky, a Jew, were recently married. Does anyone care that their marriage is interfaith? It seems easier to find articles that reference media attention to this controversy rather than the articles that actually call their marriage controversial. Has Chelsea successfully dodged an age old bullet? And, if so, how did her handlers and PR team make that happen? Or does the rule that says that Jewish men must marry Jewish women include an exception for brides-to-be who are the daughters of former US presidents? And does my distant ancestral relationship to Myles Standish count for anything?

Also, this piece on Jewcy is. . . okay. Maybe I just like it because I've never heard of the "Buttinskys." They sound fun.

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your posts, which explains my delay in discovering this juicy bit of family history. (And it's nice to pretend that it's still August.) So I must tell you that I am also distantly related to Myles Standish, by marriage. Are we long-lost 16th cousins?

    ReplyDelete