Monday, August 23, 2010

Shana Tovah! It's gonna cost you.

Ilan and I have attended services at Beth El probably two or three times. (In other words, more than we have services at any other temple.) I liked High Holidays there last year, when I think we paid $50/ticket and got to attend one service each for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. We bought the tickets through a coalition of East Bay congregations that allowed the more timid among us to dip our toes in the waters of a few different places. Options ranged from the sedate and comfortable (Beth El) to the clappy and dancey (Chochmat Halev).

Okay, anyway, I couldn't find those great $50 tickets this year, so I emailed Beth El directly to see about tickets and they cost $250 PER PERSON. Is that craziness? If Ilan and I pay the full amount, we will have purchased membership, anyway. But we're not going to do that. We're going to offer $100 or $150 for both of us, see if they accept that donation, and take it from there. I know Beth El has to pay for a whole slew of construction projects they completed a while ago, and I'm sure they're not the only ones charging this amount (or more), but I'm still a little shocked at the ticket price for these tickets! Don't they know I have a cat to feed?

No comments:

Post a Comment