Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Taking it to the people

I want to start a feature on the blog wherein I ask the same five questions of different Jews (and, occasionally, others) to get their perspectives on issues related to what it means to be a Jew, where "Jews by choice" (converts) fit into the grand scheme of things and other topics. I know it's impossible to fit the wildly varied opinions of a whole group of people (especially, perhaps, Jews) into a neat little Interview Corner but, alas, that's what I'm attempting to do.

My wonderful friend Karen Ben-Moshe, who has been staying with me since Ilan went to Boston for a visit, has agreed to be my first victim. . . ahem, subject. She and I spent last night brainstorming some questions that any Jew could answer, but that will hopefully elicit intriguing and diverse responses. And here they are.

1. What does it mean to be Jewish? OR What makes a Jew, a Jew?
2. What is the most challenging facet of Judaism in practice?
3. How do you feel about conversion? OR How do you feel about interfaith relationships, especially non-Jewish women dating Jewish men?
4. In one sentence (only one sentence!) say something about Israel.
5. Why do Jews cover their eyes when lighting Shabbat candles?

What do you think? I want to keep my questions to five, and I think these encompass the most confusing, controversial and/or interesting topics in my mind. Next up, we'll see how Karen would respond! (Cue evil laugh. . .)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to talk to you about this, especially since I've recently decided that I identify as culturally Jewish, not religiously... Goodness, there's so much to discuss! I'm linking to your blog on mine.
    --Sarah

    ReplyDelete